by Taylor Hobbs
This week school clubs will host a drive in the black circle during lunch. Until this date, no clubs are being held during lunch, West Hills High School offers clubs ranging from Key Club, which finds volunteer work around the community for students to do, to Disney Movie Club, who watch Disney movies every Friday. Our school offers an array of clubs all days of the week.
Mrs. McDowell’s physiology class offers many summer internships in the health and medical field, in order to insure a spot you should sign up soon. Some extracurricular activities at our school include culture clubs such as Asian Culture Club. In Pawprints, the school newspaper, students are working to make sure students on twitter are informed. In order to know about more volunteer work and community service, Key Club is a great resource.
by Haley Valles
Ally Coronas interview about cheer.
When did you start doing cheer?
- I started doing cheer when I was only 9 years old.
Is this something you’d like to continue out of school and onto college?
- It’s a possibility, I just have to see where life takes me, but I can definitely see myself cheering more in the future!
Was it challenging being on varsity when you were only a freshman?
- Yes, because I didn’t know most of the girls on the team and I felt like I had to give my all to impress them, be accepted, and to let them know I am as dedicated as anyone else.
What has this experience taught you?
- It taught me that by working hard, I can reach my goals and become a better athlete and person.
What has been your favorite part of cheer?
- The football games because they’re really exciting and everyone is showing a lot of support and spirit.
Most memorable moment with your team?
- It had to be sophomore year when we won our National competition in Vegas.
If there was something about cheer you could change, what would it be?
- They way people perceive us as cheerleaders and think we are stereotypical and do not deserve to be called athletes.
Scariest moment during cheer?
- Last year right before our Vegas competition, I sprained my ankle during practice and had to be on crutches for a month.
An accomplishment you made during cheer?
- I think the biggest accomplishment I made was being on the varsity team all 4 years of high school.
If you could redo your cheer experience in high school all over again would you? Why?
- Yes, because it was the best and most memorable activity I participated in high school.