by Haley Valles
Ally Coronas interview about cheer.
When did you start doing cheer?
- I started doing cheer when I was only 9 years old.
Is this something you’d like to continue out of school and onto college?
- It’s a possibility, I just have to see where life takes me, but I can definitely see myself cheering more in the future!
Was it challenging being on varsity when you were only a freshman?
- Yes, because I didn’t know most of the girls on the team and I felt like I had to give my all to impress them, be accepted, and to let them know I am as dedicated as anyone else.
What has this experience taught you?
- It taught me that by working hard, I can reach my goals and become a better athlete and person.
What has been your favorite part of cheer?
- The football games because they’re really exciting and everyone is showing a lot of support and spirit.
Most memorable moment with your team?
- It had to be sophomore year when we won our National competition in Vegas.
If there was something about cheer you could change, what would it be?
- They way people perceive us as cheerleaders and think we are stereotypical and do not deserve to be called athletes.
Scariest moment during cheer?
- Last year right before our Vegas competition, I sprained my ankle during practice and had to be on crutches for a month.
An accomplishment you made during cheer?
- I think the biggest accomplishment I made was being on the varsity team all 4 years of high school.
If you could redo your cheer experience in high school all over again would you? Why?
- Yes, because it was the best and most memorable activity I participated in high school.